NH Architecture has been honored to work with the Bivona Child Advocacy Center for a number of years, and helped to identify the property at 1 Mt Hope Avenue as a building that could fulfill the Center’s needs. The ‘Old Stone Warehouse’ at 1 Mt Hope Ave., constructed in 1822, is Rochester’s oldest commercial building. The building had been renovated in the 1980’s for use as office space, but would require a complete renovation prior to occupancy.
Renovations included a complete redesign of all floors, replacement of the existing mechanical systems, replacement of all exterior windows & doors, roof replacement, landscaping, resurfacing of the existing parking lot, the addition of site & building-mounted signage, and enclosing the existing bridge which provides access to the building’s main entrance.
NH Architecture & project contractor CPKelly & Associates worked with the NYS State Historic Preservation Office to insure that the renovations would preserve the building’s historic character.
The owner’s willingness to repurpose this historic structure has breathed new life into the property, and provides Bivona Child Advocacy Center the space that they required to continue their invaluable service to children in need.